Posted by http://withfoodandlove.com/apple-crumb-bars-with-a-maple-coffee-glaze/
© 2015 With Food + Love. All rights reserved.
These apple crumb bars taste just like apple pie, but aren’t nearly as complicated or time consuming. The crust is flaky and light, and the apples are lightly sweetened and spiced. Serve them warm or room temperature with a heavy drizzle of maple coffee glaze on top.
- 4 cups apples, peeled + thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
- 2 tablespoons organic cornstarch
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Baking Flour 1:1
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line an 8×8 dish with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl toss the apples with the lemon juice. In a small mixing bowl whisk together the spices, ¼ teaspoon salt, cornstarch, and 3 tablespoons maple syrup. Pour this mixture of the apples, and toss to coat evenly. Set to the side until the crust is ready.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the remaining salt, flour and oats. Then add in the shortening and mix with your hand until crumbly. Then add in the maple syrup and stir until well-combined.
- Set aside ⅓ cup of this mixture for the crumb topping. Press the remaining mixture into the lined dish. Pour the apples into the dish, pressing gently to arrange. Crumble the remaining crumb mixture on top and bake for 40 minutes.
- Allow the bars to cool almost completely inside the dish. This part is key. Try not to rush this process. Remove the bars, drizzle with the glaze and cut into 9 squares.