Posted by http://withfoodandlove.com/late-summer-ratatouille-and-ratatouille-stuffed-peppers/
© 2016 With Food + Love. All rights reserved.
No-Recipe Late Summer Ratatouille
Use this no-recipe recipe as your base. Experiment and make it your own and then make it over and over again as you wish. Feel free to substitute in any vegetables and herbs you wish. At the bottom I've added some notes to give you an idea of how flexible this is.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 2 cups eggplant, diced medium
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced medium
- 2 cups zucchini, diced medium
- 1 cup bell peppers, diced medium
- handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- In a large sauce pan heat the olive oil and onion over low, and sweat for 5 minutes.
- Then add in the garlic, and sweat for 1 minute more. Turn the heat up to medium and add in the lemon juice. Scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Next add in water and the eggplant, and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the eggplant is almost fully cooked. Add in the tomatoes, zucchini and bell peppers. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add in the basil, stir and remove from the heat.
For lemon juice: white wine, or other acid
For tomatoes: any combination and variety of heirlooms, cherry, sungolds, etc.
For zucchini: any zucchini or summer squash variety
For bell peppers: any variety or color
For herbs: any combination and variety of fresh basil, oregano, thyme and/or parsley