Roasted Sugar Snap Peas with Mint + Sea Salt + scenes from joshua tree!
Roasted sugar snap peas with mint, salt, black pepper and a hint of lemon.
It isn’t a secret.
I had fallen deeply in love with the desert before but, Joshua Tree National Park was no ordinary desert. Joshua Tree is life-changing. I took this trip exactly three years ago today. I remember every twist and turn of the road.
Every strange angle of every peculiar tree.
Every red boulder.
That very blue sky.
It was a trip that will be etched in my mind forever. After a few nights in Los Angeles visiting friends and family, we woke up in Palm Springs. We were craving vastness and open skies and fresh air, so we set out for Joshua Tree. It was a heat wave. The desert was 113 degrees. But still, it seemed refreshing to leave LA traffic behind.
We entered the park from the west and drove the entirety in one swoop. With every turn in the road a new emotion rushed through my veins. It was a trip that will live inside of me forever. The desert is my spirit animal. The desert soothes my soul. And Joshua Tree is one of my favorite places on earth.
To honor Earth Day, I’ve partnered with some wonderful bloggers on an initiative to save our wild. Our Wild is a movement to protect national parks, forests, deserts, and wildlife refuges. Please take some time to read about what is at stake. If you are moved to take action, you can sign the petition or consider making a donation.
Follow along with #ourwild on Instagram.
And click to Sasha’s blog to see the full list of influencers who are fighting the good fight.
Roasted sugar snap peas.
This was the first meal I prepared when I returned home from the desert. It was salty, crunchy and yet still hydrating. All of the restorative things my body was craving after experiencing such waves of emotion. After absorbing such awestruck beauty. They come together in under twenty minutes and are roasted in a bright, citrus-y, mint vinaigrette.
- 3 cups sugar snap peas
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- coarse or kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the peas, pat dry and trim the ends.
- In a food processor combine the mint, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pulse until all the mint and garlic is finely chopped. Toss the snap peas in the mint mixture and spread them out onto the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until brown and crispy, flipping halfway. Sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and serve warm.