Before we dig into this creamy vegan broccoli soup, I want to tell you a story. For as long as I can remember. I have always been two things. A doer, and a worrier. And those two things landed me in a health crisis.
2015 started out on a high note. Chris started his new aviation career, and we moved to the Midwest to begin a new chapter in our lives. Our hearts were full of hope. And although I was reluctant to leave the East Coast, I was optimistic about our future in St. Louis.
Great things were happening. My blog was a finalist in the Saveur Blog Award. I started writing a column in Feast Magazine. My freelance work was overflowing, and I was traveling all over the country on media trips. The candle was burning at both ends, because I was born a doer.
Amidst this incessant desire to constantly do, I was never still. I was never still so I could avoid, the worrier. But through our transition this year all of the worry started to add up. It came on suddenly without warning, and it hasn’t stopped since.
A fifty-five day headache without a break or relief. Time felt like it was standing still. I saw a half a dozen doctors, took half a dozen bloods tests. And nothing. I eventually landed in the emergency room for more testing and the results came back clear. Stress, they say, is the culprit.
Three weeks later, although intermittently, the headache persists. I have accepted that it will not go away overnight, after one yoga class, or an acupuncture or therapy session. It will take time, patience and work. I am dedicating 2016 to self-love. It will also be the year of soup.
The best vegan broccoli soup.
There’s nothing more comforting than a bowl of soup. On New Year’s Eve I had the pleasure of cooking a meal for ten beautiful souls. It started with this bowl of this creamy, vegan broccoli soup. A bowl powered by white beans and ready in under thirty minutes. It is both bright and hearty, and I hope you enjoy it.
Through this pain there’s been tremendous light and growth. A radical shift in the way I approach life has been birthed not only out of desire, but necessity. The way I want to care for myself is changing. The way I want to talk to myself is changing. It will be hard to undo all the years of doing and worrying, and not good enoughs. Wishing you all an abundant 2016.
Creamy Broccoli Soup with White Beans and Yogurt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can white beans
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- sea salt
- black pepper
- red onions (to garnish)
- dairy or non-dairy yogurt (optional garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over low heat, and sauté the onions for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium, and add in the garlic. Stir and cook for about 1 minute more. Then pour in the white wine and scrape all the brown yummy bits for the bottom of the pan. Simmer for a few minutes until the wine is mostly evaporated.
- Add in the broth, beans, broccoli, spinach, parsley, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until the broccoli is bright green and tender throughout. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Then transfer the cooked broccoli and bean mixture into a blender and blend until completely smooth. You may need to do so in small batches.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of olive oil, black pepper and if desired a dollop of yogurt, fresh parsley and red onions.