Winter Chopped Salad with Kale + Fruit + Lemon Vinaigrette
Vegan, gluten-free winter chopped salad.
Today’s post is brought to you by The Trust for Public Land, an organization committed to protecting parks and other natural spaces right in your own backyard.
I’ve spent about half of my life living in rural communities; I was born and raised in upstate New York. And I’ve lived the other half in major metropolises. There is beauty in both. Getting outdoors refreshes my spirit and it inspires me to get in my kitchen and create new recipes for you guys.
This winter chopped salad combines the liveliness of the city with the punches of fruit and vibrant lemon vinaigrette. And the earthiness of the countryside with the grounding kale. It refreshes your spirit and palate.
America’s open spaces are disappearing at a rate of 6,000 acres a day. That’s a scary fact you guys. If you’d like to help change that, watch the video below. And join The Trust for Public Land. They work with communities nationwide to save the places people love. Share your story by submitting your #OurLand virtual postcard here.
Inspired by, my Summer’s Bounty Chopped Kale Salad. If you don't have oranges on hand, any winter citrus would work. Clementines, grapefruits, and/or tangerines would be delicious.
- 10 stalks of tuscan kale
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded raw beets
- 1/4 cup chopped green scallion
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 orange, peeled + cut into segments
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- Wash, dry and remove the center ribs from the kale, and shred it finely. In a large mixing bowl combine the kale with the olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt, and massage it with your hands for 3 minutes, or until bright green and pliable.
- To the bowl add in the cabbage, beets, scallions and parsley and mix well. Lastly add in the organs and pomegranate arils.
- Drizzle the on the dressing and serve.
If you can source them, Meyer lemons make this vinaigrette extra special.
- juice + zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Whisk all of the ingredients together in a bowl; pour it over the salad and toss.
This post is sponsored by The Trust for Public Land; all opinions are my own.