Last week we traveled about sixty miles north of St. Louis to Overlook Farm. To stay on their property for a little getaway and learn more about what they do. Their farm is positioned in the heart of the Mississippi River Valley. And it’s the inspiration behind this seasonal summer slaw with peaches and parsley.
Overlook Farm truly epitomizes the essence of the farm-to-table movement. They operate year round, while growing all of their own produce and raising their own meat and fish. Beyond their twenty-six hoop houses, five greenhouses and sustainable tilapia farm, the property is home to four inns. If you’re in the St. Louis area, it’s a great place to take a day trip to or have a mini vacation.
After our stay we slowly made our way back into the city. We stoped at antiques and thrift stores, and at every roadside produce stand we saw. The peaches were peaking with ripeness. I don’t even know how many pounds we managed to get, but I know we bought a lot.
I grilled a bunch of peaches for dinner the night we made it home. Then I froze another batch. And then I made this summer slaw to share with you. But if you want more peach inspiration you can find peach recipes here.
How to make a summer slaw.
This summer slaw is loaded with red and green cabbage, parsley, green onions, peaches and its tossed in a refreshing apple cider vinaigrette. All of these ingredients are gentle on your digestion, nourishing and aid in light detoxing. Which makes it the perfect summer recipe.
First you want to make sure the cabbage is finely shredded, and the finer the better. No one wants big clumps of cabbage in their slaw. Then you mince the parsley, dice the green onions, slice the peaches into matchsticks and toss it all in the vinaigrette. It’s really simple and comes together in under ten minutes. Plate the summer slaw with raw sunflower seeds on top.
- 4 cups red and/or green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 peach, thin matchsticks
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, diced small
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- Combine the cabbage, peaches, parsley and green onions in a mixing bowl and toss to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper until the salt is dissolved.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the cabbage mixture and toss again to combine well. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Plate with the sprinkle the sunflower seeds over the top.