This simple vegan chili is everything my body needs right now. A super umami, hearty, healthy, easy bowl of fuel to get me through the holidays. I really try to do my best to eat extra healthy at home as often as I can this time of year. So when I’m when eating at holiday parties and gatherings I’m not as inclined to overindulge in sugary, nutrient-void foods.
How is your holiday season going? Are you drowning in sugar and obligations and stress? Or are you on maintaining a baseline of ample vegetables, easy entertaining and high vibe feelings? I am probably somewhere in between.
Vegan chili for weeknight meals.
A vegan chili recipe that takes less than twenty minutes is my ideal weeknight meal. And it’s a great place to start if you’re looking to make the most out of your pantry staples. Which is my favorite part about this recipe. It’s made with things you already have on hand. No crazy ingredients that require a trip to the grocery store.
All you need for this vegan chili is olive oil, salt, pepper, chili powder, onions, garlic, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, beans and a secret ingredient. I used a mixture of kidney beans and black beans, but you could use any kind of beans you have on hand.
And the magic ingredient? Apple cider vinegar. Stay with me. Yes – apple cider vinegar. You add this in along with some fresh herbs and green onions as the final step and the results are magical.
The acid and gentle sweetness layers with the spice of the chili powder to make it seem like this bean chili was simmering for hours. Make a big pot to eat it for dinner and then save the leftovers to eat for lunch all week. You could also freeze the leftovers for another time. I hope you love this pantry-based, ready in twenty minutes, simple vegan chili as much as I do.
Twenty Minute Chili with Black and Kidney Beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced small
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups cooked black beans
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over low-medium heat and sauté the onions for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, salt, pepper, chili powder and tomato paste and cook for 1 minutes more.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, beans and broth and stir. Simmer uncovered for 12 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add in the parsley and apple cider vinegar and remove from the heat.
- Portion and top with fresh herbs, green onions and other garnishes of your choice and serve warm.
Saturday 21st of March 2020
This was surprisingly delicious and we aren't exactly vegan. It was super easy to pull together also.
Monday 4th of March 2019
This chili was so yummy and comforting on a cold, rainy night! I have many chili recipes, but I love the simplicity and full flavor that this one delivers. The amount of beans is perfect and provides a welcome heartiness. And the fresh herbs are just the best.