It’s the part of the summer when we all get a little overwhelmed by the abundance of produce. Although it’s a wonderful problem to have though, it’s still a little overwhelming. Our gardens are in full bloom and our markets are bursting at the seams with fruits and vegetables. Especially, zucchini and tomatoes which make for a wonderful zucchini stew.
This zucchini stew is simmered with a fresh tomato sauce, and infused with herbs and hearty white beans. When it comes to tomato sauce made with fresh tomatoes, I like to make this version.
This fresh tomato sauce recipe is my go-to method and comes together in under twenty minutes, but it tastes like it’s been simmering on the stove all day. And it doesn’t matter what variety of tomatoes you use. Slicing, cherry, grape, heirloom, plum – all varieties, all flavors, all sizes and all shapes work beautifully in this recipe.
And when it comes to the squash in this recipe you can use green zucchini, yellow summer squash or a combination of both. The squash cooks very fast, and you’ll want to avoid overcooking it otherwise the zucchini stew will get too soggy.
How to make zucchini stew.
If you already have tomato sauce and cooked white beans on hand, then this zucchini stew comes together in under twenty minutes for a super easy and satisfying summer meal. And if you need it – this tomato sauce recipe only takes thirty minutes to make.
First you sauté the zucchini, and then you simmer it in the sauce. Lastly, you add in the herbs and kale and a little seasoning and that’s it. Add some crusty bread on the side or a poached egg or Pecorino Romano cheese on top and it takes this dish over the top. Another great recipe to make with your abundance of zucchini is this summer squash soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups zucchini, diced medium (see notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce (see notes)
- 1 cup cooked white beans
- 1 cup kale, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, julienned
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over low-medium heat.
- Turn the heat up to medium and add in the zucchini, salt and pepper and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Then add in the tomato sauce and white beans and simmer uncovered while stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and simmer uncovered while stirring occasionally for 5 minutes more.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add in the basil, stir and serve.
This recipe is very flexible and you can use 2 cups of green zucchini or yellow summer squash or 1 cup of each.
This is the tomato sauce that I use. Your favorite marinara sauce recipe or brand will also work.