Last week I took some time off.
And traveled out west to visit my people.
It had been what seemed like an eternity.
Or, just over four months since I saw my Denver family.
In my short visit I went on a few beautiful hikes and shared a few great meals with my people. It has been six years since I packed up my apartment and left Denver. And although the city has changed drastically since I was living there, it still has my heart.
The trip was great, but we came home exhausted. Sore throats, body-aches, just simply exhausted. Since the beginning of the summer I’ve been traveling equal amounts as I’ve been home. I feel totally pushed to the limits.
I’m acutely aware that such travel is a privilege. And I never want to take that for granted. But for the next few months, there’s nothing more I’d rather do than camp out in my own space. I fully intend to get my space tidied up. Make lots of food. And just get pretty cozy with living in and staying put in St. Louis.
This creamy, vegan pumpkin soup was everything I wanted. The caramelized onions add the right amount of richness to balance the earth pumpkin puree. There are hints of acid. There is a hint of smokiness. And there is a lot of umami.
I can see this pumpkin soup on you real menu during the week and I can see this pumpkin soup on your holiday table. Top it all off with the pumpkin seed dukkah and you are golden. Another soup you may love on your weeknight menu or holiday table is this vegan, creamy broccoli white bean soup. It’s on repeat in my house this time of year.
Onto the giveaway, and I’m super excited about this one! Earlier this fall, I teamed up with my friends over at Turntable Kitchen to create their November pairings box recipes. Turntable Kitchen is doing some pretty rad stuff in the music and food space. They’ve created a subscription based service that delivers you recipes, featured ingredients and music from rising artists every month. Today I’m giving away a 1 month subscription. You can keep it for yourself, or give it to someone as a gift. One of you will win:
a bag of curry madras powder
3 seasonal recipes (that I created)
a digital mixtape
an exclusive 7″ vinyl from a featured artist
To enter leave me a comment why you’d love to win by 11/19 at noon Central. I will choose a winner at random, and notify them via email. Sorry folks, this giveaway is open to US and Canada readers only.
Caramelized Onion Pumpkin Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions diced small
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Pumpkin Seed Dukkah to garnish
- In a large soup pot heat the olive oil over low heat. Add in the diced onions and sauté for about 15 minutes while stirring occasionally. Sprinkle on a pinch of salt and continue to cook for 5 more minutes. Do not let the onions burn. Allow them to slowly brown and then start to caramelize.
- When the onions are done caramelizing, turn the heat up to medium-high and add in the lemon juice. Stir and scrape all the yummy bits from the bottom of the pan and cook until the liquid has almost completely evaporated.
- Then add in the pumpkin, paprika, garlic, salt, pepper and broth, and simmer for 5 minutes. Next transfer the soup into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve hot with Pumpkin Seed Dukkah sprinkled on top.
(This giveaway has closed.)